In March 1953 the then City Manager Mr. Liam Raftis turned the first sod to start the building of the new estate. The land was owned by Mr. Bill Murphy who sold it to Waterford Corporation. St. John’s Park was one of the biggest housing estates in Waterford at that time with over 450 houses. It took six years to build from 1953 – 1958. Kennedy Row was built in 1963.
Even though the estate is called St. John’s Park, we have street names which are only known to the locals – German Road, Main Road, Back Road, Father Pat’s Road, The Square and Cherry Blossom Road.
The German Road got it’s name from the german workers who came over to work in Waterford Crystal. They were not the only nationality – we also had English, Scots, Poles, Italians and Czechs. Our Principal Mr. Flynn lived at 221 St. John’s Park for many years.
In 2003 St. John’s Park celebrated it’s 50th Anniversary as a housing estate. The highlight of the year was the visit of President Mary McAleese to the area. Along with her husband she attended a special mass in the Sacred Heart Church on Sunday 23rd March. The mass was also attended by local politicians, the Mayor and members of the City Council. After the mass, President McAleese unveiled a plaque and cut a cake in the Butler Community Centre to commerate the 50 years of St. John’s Park.