War – Card Game
Cooking and baking (weight and time)
- How many / how much of an ingredient is needed?
- If a recipe is to serve 2 but the meal is for four people, we must double the amount.
- If the dish takes 45 minutes to cook, what time will it be ready at?
- Make an analogue clock.
- Convert time on an analogue clock to digital time.
A “shape hunt” in the home / garden (shape and space strand in primary maths curriculum). Children identify and classify as many items as possible.
Children can look at a tv guide from a newspaper and work out duration of programmes.
Children can incorporate distance into football / hurling drills. How far do they think (estimate) they can throw a ball? Use a measuring tape to obtain an accurate answer.
3rd Class up
Loads of games to practice Multiplication.
Top Marks – Hit the Button
Hit the Button is an interactive maths game with quick fire questions on number, bonds, times tables, doubling and halving, multiples, division facts and square numbers. Games are against the clock and develop number fact recall. Designed for 6-11 year olds.
Top Marks – Daily 10
HiDaily 10 is a primary maths resource which covers addition, subtraction, ordering, partitioning, place value, rounding, multiplication, division, doubles, halves and fractions. It has been designed primarily for use on an interactive whiteboard. The aim is to help teachers deliver 10 maths questions many which can be used for mental maths practise.
Sets of questions can be timed or untimed and the activities are ideal for starter and plenary sessions. They are graded in levels of difficulty which match year group levels in England’s National Curriculum Maths requirements. This means the resource is suitable for children from 5 to 11 years of age.
● The mapping is split into 4 sections: Primary 3rd & 4th, Primary 5th & 6th, Junior Cycle, and Senior Cycle.
Within each section, it is further broken down by curriculum strand, and then by chapter/section
● Each subject is mapped into a separate Excel workbook file, which you can download and view on your computer ● The tabs along the bottom of the workbook show the chapters/sections within the curriculum strand, and each of these sheets includes the Khan Academy exercises that are aligned to each given section’s content https://www.khanacademy.org/
● Free, online math games and more at MathPlayground.com ● Ha problem solving, logic games and number puzzles kids love to play https://www.mathplayground.com/
● Mathletics brings classroom practice into the home. Aligned to your local curricula, Mathletics activities are relevant, reinforce lessons learned in school, and help your children gain mastery over maths topics or push ahead of what’s being taught. ● Free trial available https://www.mathletics.com/uk/for-home/free-trial/
Teaching the Time
Granny Grand Prix ● Available in addition, subtraction, multiplication, division https://www.multiplication.com/games/play/granny-prix-multi-player-addition