The Board of Management recognizes that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities.
Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Scoil Lorcáin has agreed the following child protection policy:
- The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
- The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Mr. Harry Flynn.
- The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (Deputy DLP) is Mr. John Keegan.
- In its policies, practices and activities, Scoil Lorcáin will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare: The school will
- recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
- fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters.
- adopt safe practices to minimize the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
- develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
- fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil with a special vulnerability.
- The school has in place the following policies which are particularly relevant to child protection.
- Code of Behaviour
- Anti-bullying Policy
- Attendance Policy
- Supervision Policy
The Board has ensured that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the above listed items.
6. Stay Safe will be taught at a 2 year cycle to all classes in accordance with the Social Personal Health Education (SPHE) Policy.
7. This policy has been made available to school personnel and is readily accessible to parents on request.
A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department and the Patron if requested.
8. This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management once on every school year.
This policy was adopted by the Board of Management on _____________________
Chairperson of Board of Management Principal
Date of next review: _____________________